Monday, May 7

a soldier sweetheart?



never guilty of an underactive imagination, I'm totally captivated
by this dainty silver mesh handbag


with gently swirling flowers and the name E SHORE 1916
engraved on the frame. 


1916. . .WW1. . .Battle of the Somme. . .

20,000 British casualties on the first day alone. . .
boys marching into death before their lives had even begun.

Did he buy it for her wedding day,
the dashing Captain Shore?

To walk side by side down the aisle on his next leave
thoughts of battle clouded by her gentle beauty.

A few short day of heaven
a heartbreaking farewell
and return to indescribable hell.

And did she get to wear it,
this token of undying love?

Did she get to love him
 for years and years and years
and grow old in eachother's arms?

Or was he only a memory
wrapped in tissue, tied with ribbon, blessed with tears
and laid to rest in a bottom drawer.

 

Until I saw the tiny number 800 stamped inside the frame
I hadn't realised it was silver.
800 silver was commonly used for jewellery making
in France and Belgium in the early 20th C


Alas, "needs must" at the moment so the purse is offered for sale

I shall be very, very sad to see it go. . .



13 comments:

sue15cat said...

What a lovely item, especially with it's personalised touch. A lovely story you have woven for it too.

I find all the things I 'let go' when I dealt in antiques that had little treasured extras like names, or photos are stored in my memory forever.

Sue xx

Ivy Black said...

That is just beautiful.xxxx

nilly said...

Definitely kept in a drawer, a memory of the first (and only?) true love - it's so pristine. Many of our grannies had them (WW1), and some of our mothers (WW2), to be brought up in conversation when husbands needed to be put in their places.

Melissa said...

Beautiful little bag. I'm glad to see some else's head fills with the possible stories behind the bag.

Sherri B. said...

I see her carrying it on their 50th wedding anniversary night on the town, gifted by their 12 children. xo

Liz said...

Aw, we can only wonder about these lovely items. It is fabulous.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Favourite Vintage Finds said...

What a stunning handbag, love it! Sending very best wishes for your auctions! xo

Menopausalmusing said...

It's a thing of beauty, sure enough and I love your close up photos with it set against what looks like a very pretty beaded cardigan....

Country Style Living said...

Pretty bag and lovely post.....

BadPenny said...

How lovely. I have some of my great aunt's belongings. She had " suitors " judging by the dance cards & lettters but never married. Sadly not enough young men came home to dance again.

We are very gentle with items in the charity shop which have obviously been donated as someone has died. We think they deserve respect & care. It can be sad at times especially the purses - none as lovely as yours though !

OhSoVintage said...

Lovely romantic thoughts. Who knows? If only these lovely things that pass through our hands could tell their stories.
In reply to your comment on my blog. Lucky you.., the fares are much dearer now though we didn't realise we were on the first flight from Bournemouth to Dublin with Aer Lingus and got free champagne and smoked salmon! My husband works in Dublin now so I'll be doing a lot more visits.
Ruth x

Anonymous said...

hi!,I like your writing very so much! share
we communicate extra approximately your article on AOL? I require
an expert on this area to solve my problem. Maybe that is you!
Having a look forward to peer you.
Also see my site :: Forex Trading Demo

Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up.

The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
The style and design look great though! Hope you get the
problem solved soon. Cheers
Here is my webpage - Tetra Fish Food

Related Posts with Thumbnails